Tuesday 24 November 2015

The Tree of Life



Rating: ***

This has got to be the weirdest movie I have ever seen. A close look at a borderline abusive Texas family with an oldest son that I felt sure was to grow up and become psycho interwoven with scenes that would have felt quite fitting in a discovery documentary on space. I was left with the feeling that I had not fully understood what I had just witnessed but with the comforting notion that this was perhaps what I was supposed to feel. After all, shouldn’t life and the creation of the universe leave us perplexed? I felt as though the movie was a nudge on the shoulder of any religious beliefs as a strictly christian family was followed and compared to the beauty of the creation of atoms, hinting at the delicate balance that the Earth must continue in order to prevent life from ceasing to exist. A balance that is perhaps obtainable by chance, without God. My favourite concept however was a simple one, introduced at the very beginning (if I had known this would be the case it possibly could've prevented the several hours worth of difficult to follow plot lines and mild mind fuck) it was that a human being can follow the path of nature or of grace. The interesting part of this being that the path of nature is the one represented by those who want the best for themselves and will do whatever it takes to achieve this. Nature described as a vice rather than a blessing is a concept that tends to be lacking as we like to believe that it is in our human nature to be kind and caring towards others. Logically, why should we be any different to any other organism on Earth? But I digress. This film is heavy. Prepare for your attention span to be challenged. 

(watch for aesthetic) 

No comments:

Post a Comment